Could you list statement items in fashion or trends that are going to be huge as we make the transition into fall/winter ‘09?
- Bomber/Biker Jackets (leather and twill fabrications)
- Skinny Denim (ripped, studded, acid wash, Graffiti inspired)
- 80s Wear (metallic leather skinny pants, black leather skinny pants, crystal studded dresses, everything neon)
- The Boyfriend Blazer (pair with your skinny jeans, leather pants or leggings)
- Cardigans….continue to explore the fine line between casual and luxury with updated fabrications and details. (Check out Fremont Waxed Sweater at oaknyc.com)
- The Cutouts Continue! If you want to go for a classy feel, look to Brian Reyes Draped Dress with the perfectly executed asymmetrical back slit. Want more edge? Look to Alexander Wang and the “cage dress!” This trend is also a BIG hit in footwear. Look to Perforated and Open Vamp Booties from Tashkent by Cheyenne.
What are staples pieces that men and women should look to add to their wardrobe?
- RRL Jeans Skinny fit (by Ralph Lauren); The season‘s most perfect denim! It is one of the only skinny fit leg with a boot cut hem which lends to more footwear versatility. Japanese Selvage Denim, Vintage Style Rivets…it’s just an item you must add to your wardrobe for this season. (Not to mention, Mr West rocks them on the regular!)
- A Short Black Military Jacket in wool fabrication can serve as your must have casual jacket for the season (look to designers such as Kazuyuki Kumagai)
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Brando Suede High Tops: Phillip’s debut into footwear is clean and sophisticated! All things classy and high top are in this season.
- Detailed Shoulder Pieces: The 40s are back! From shoulder pads to exaggerated and extended shoulder details in blazers, jackets, shirts, dresses, etc. Karl Lagerfeld and Lanvin introduced pieces on the runway but you can also find contemporary lines such as Helmut Lang, Hanii Y and Elizabeth and James focusing on this trend.
- The Dress: It’s all about sexy necklines this year. From sweetheart necklines to bustier. Look to contemporary brands such as LaRok, Brian Reyes and Shoshanna to bring you all things sexy and feminine.
- The Cape! A Must have item for the season! Add elegance to your retro chic look by pairing it with long leather gloves; And if you’re not afraid, purchase it in one of the season’s bright, fiery colors.
Are there any brands that are being revamped or making a come back in the upcoming season?
I think our first lady has a lot to do with many designers making a comeback this season with revamped, sophisticated looks, all while being very sexy and feminine. I am in love with the Fall 09 RTW Collection by Lanvin. The collection definitely represents the female warrior and her necessities! From the drapes, bias wraps and bows, Elbaz recognize women are carrying a lot on their shoulders in this economy and Lanvin brings us the 40s, revisited, with sleek, sophisticated and elegant looks that go beyond trend.
Are there any fashion tips that you would like to share?
- Gloves: wear them, own them; pair them with ¾ length blazers; It’s just a fabulous, look!
- Wear a BIG Statement necklace with a simple dress or even with a tee for a more casual look.
- Color is in, but don’t overdo it! You should only wear 1 BOLD color statement…I think the safest pieces to wear color is in a handbag, a dress OR a cape. Don’t try to implement color in all 3 pieces at once!
- Spend more money on your wardrobe staples and less money on your fashion/trend pieces.